The Barnet Federated GPs have been working collaboratively with the Barnet (Primary Care Training Hub) who are a multi-stakeholder organisation dedicated to educate, support and train the current and future workforce of primary care. This includes GPs, nurses, healthcare support workers, pharmacists, dentists and non-clinical administrative staff.
An example of this close collaboration includes the educational component of the Referral Management Service (RMS) following a successful bid by the Federation.
Examples of the work Barnet Primary Care Training Hub do include:
- Multi-collaborative Learning Groups (MCLGs) across Barnet
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training for nurses and healthcare support workers
- General Practice Nursing (GPN) mentorship and training placements
- Healthcare support worker (HCSW) apprenticeships
- Training community pharmacists in minor illness
- Career fairs in schools and colleges
- Check out the website for all training events going on in Barnet https://barnetcepn.org.uk/events/
More recently, the BFG and Barnet Primary care training hub have been successful in their joint bid for the NHS England Clinical Pharmacist in General Practice programme. This aims to recruit and establish several clinical pharmacists into GP surgeries across Barnet. They will work as part of the team to resolve day-to-day medicine issues and consult with and treat patients directly e.g. extra help managing long-term conditions and advice for those on multiple medications. This new role will help improve quality of care and ensure patient safety as well as enabling GPs to focus their skills where they are most needed, for example diagnosing and treating patients with complex conditions.