Improving the quality of health in Barnet through sustainable primary care
Barnet Federation and Our Patients
The Benefits of the Pan-Barnet Federation working with patients
Barnet Federation constantly seeks to improve the relationship that we have with our patients by working closely with our Patient Participation Groups across Barnet. Our patients’ voice is important to us in getting feedback about our services and how we can improve them.
Patients and Barnet Federation work together to help improve:
- The patient–doctor relationship
- Our understanding of local patients’ needs
- Better access for patients in different sites across Barnet
- Services closer to home and in reassuring settings
- Patient participation in the running of collaborative structures
- A wider range of tailored services and continuity of care
- An opportunity to hear our patients’ experiences and help The Federation improve community care for our population
The existence of an association of PPGs, the Barnet Patient Participation Network (BPPN), brings together patients from practices across the borough.
Aims and Objectives of the BPPN
- To develop a relationship between Barnet’s Patient Participation Groups (PPGs) through a forum to share experience and exchange ideas.
- To be an umbrella group whose pooled ‘patient voice’ will carry greater weight and influence than that of individual PPGs.
- To share information, influence best practice, and report back on the patients’ experience.
- To provide mutual support, and offer help, guidance and mentoring to emerging PPGs.
- To work alongside Practice Managers, the Federation, Healthwatch, the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), and other agencies and to inform, and influence where appropriate, the decision-making process.
- To encourage dialogue between patients and health personnel by contributing the patients’ perspective as a ‘critical friend’ in partnership with these agencies.
- To develop the potential for offering specific support services run by volunteers within the practice
- To ensure that member PPGs are kept informed of, and helped to understand, NHS health-related changes.
- To be an apolitical group, representing a broad spectrum of views from surgeries across the borough